Getting my wisdom teeth out is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so of course I have to blog about it! Please proceed only if you have the stomach for it! ….

Gosh!! It’s really not that gory!!

So, my upper wisdom teeth were growing diagonally inwards and my lower ones were growing horizontally. Both sets pushing on my regular teeth, especially the upper ones because they were starting to break through my gums. I’ve had orthodontic work done before and I didn’t want my wisdom teeth to ruin my regular teeth, so I decided to have them removed. Better to spend a grand now than to spend a few grand to get my teeth fixed in the future.

I was wide awake for the whole process. Felt every thug and pull and grobe in my mouth. I had laughing gas, so that helped a little, but not much. I was still very conscious of what was happening! Even though I didn’t actually see the inside of my mouth, I had little glimpses of it through the reflection of dentist’s glasses. Not a very pretty sight. I was also aware of the amount of blood oozing out from my gums because the dental assistant was actively sucking the blood clean. At one point it even splattered on my cheeks. I could also see my blood stains on their white plastic gloves and the dental equipment. Anyhow, the whole surgery only took about an hour. I must say I was proud of myself. (There was a guy right before me that had his wisdom teeth out too. I definitely looked more alive than he did!)

For the rest of the day, all I ate was mango pudding and I also slept a ton. I didn’t feel much pain because the anesthesia hadn’t worn off. I’d actually fell asleep with the gauze in my mouth and when I woke up, it was completely soaked with blood. There was even blood in my teeth. But that really help because I’d left my wounds alone to clot. If I was awake, I would have changed my gauze every 5 minutes, which is bad for the blood clotting. As the anesthesia wore off, pain killers were my best friend.

I was well enough to watch Casino Royale with the Nyes that evening. But after that, took some pain killers, and they knocked my out for the night…. except, not the whole night. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling pain in my left side. I tried to wake Eric up to get me some pain killers, but my effort was in vain. Not only did he not wake up, he accidentally hit me on my face! So, I had to get myself some pain killers. As dawn drew near, I woke up again, this time feeling soreness on my right cheek. I tried to wake Eric up again to get me some ice packs, and this time he actually responded. Good job!

The next day I did feel better. I could not taste as much blood as I did the first day. So I ate pudding and even mash potatoes. I could still feel pain though, so I decided to take the Lortab my dentist has prescribed. He warned me that not many people take to this medicine very well. I found out I was one of them. About an hour after taking Lortab, out came my mash potatoes. Gross! So, I stuck to ibuprofen.

Later that evening, I felt well enough to go out to dinner with some friends. We went to a Chinese buffet. I didn’t eat a lot, but I could eat some food there. My face was still swollen. Rendy said I looked like a cartoon character because my cheeks were so puffed up.

Anyhow, I slept all the way through my second night.

My left cheek is still swollen. I look like a chipmunk hiding my nuts only in one side of my mouth!

So, after 48 hours, I’m much better than when I started. But all in all, I handled this pretty well!

And for those that read my whole entry! Good job!!

One Response to “Wisdom teeth: 48 hours after the ordeal (Rated (R) for gore and bloody details!)”

  1. Keesh on April 2nd, 2007 at 3:59 pm

    Hmmm… I wonder what Eric was dreaming of when he kicked you… or maybe we don’t want to know.

Leave a Reply

Comments will be sent to the moderation queue.